Careers, Information and Guidance

6coloursBar.png

Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG)
At St Paul’s Way Trust and Foundation School, we aspire for all our graduates to progress into a career that is tailored to their personal ambitions and which allows them to realise their full potential. We recognise the importance of teaching a broad and balanced curriculum that offers students the academic currency needed to progress in their careers, as well as offering a programme of extracurricular support that ensures they develop clear, ambitious and realistic plans for the future.

The school aims to: 

Promote a culture in which students at SPWT are actively encouraged to link their learning to the world of work and future careers 

  • To ensure that all students at SPWT feel supported in progressing onto a career that is tailored to their personal ambitions and allows them to realise their full potential 

  • To encourage all staff to be proactive in supporting students by embedding IAG into the curriculum and through a programme of extracurricular support 

  • To empower parents and carers to support their children with IAG and equip them with knowledge of the most current post 16 and post 18 options 

  • To engage with business links and the wider community, particularly through corporate trust partners to support students in contributing to the wider society around them 

St Paul’s Way Trust School CEIAG programme is reflexive and responds to evaluation and feedback. The most salient way in which we assess the impact of the CEIAG programme is our destinations data. In the 2017/18 cohort of Year 13 students, 96% students went on to higher education. The remaining 4% went on to either employment or school leaver programmes. Of the current cohort of Year 13 students, 100% have applied to higher education with 7% applying to apprenticeships, as of January 2019. Our year 11 destinations for the 2016/17 cohort show that 99% (data supplied by LBTH)  went on to either employment or further education, above both the national and local authority average.

The impact of the CEIAG can also be seen in the uptake of work experience. In the current Year 12 cohort, 95% have completed work experience (as outlined in Gatsby Benchmark 5), with the remaining 5% due to complete their work experience during February half term. We encourage our students to find their own placements and students amongst this cohort are finding placements at CBRE, the Metropolitan Police and the Canary Wharf group.   

Further to our destinations data, a tracking system is utilised to ensure that students are receiving their statutory entitlement, in line with the Gatsby Benchmarks. These trackers are maintained throughout the students’ school life and are edited regularly following different events.

Any events in which students participate are evaluated following internal review guidelines, which came into effect in January 2019 following a pilot of selected events from October 2018. These guidelines stipulate, that if an event has 100 or more pupils participating, that 10% of the participants give feedback. If the event is undertaken by less than 100 students, a cross section of 10 students are asked to give feedback. Along with the CEIAG manager, any other attending teachers must also provide feedback. These feedback forms are then assessed and events either replicated or altered to ensure positive impact and progression of the CEIAG programme.

In addition, to the above, St Paul’s Way Trust School is currently preparing to undertake the Quality in Careers Standard (as highlighted in the Careers guidance and success for education and training provider, published by the DfE in October 2018). This award requires us to undertake an external review and evaluation of our current careers provision as well as its wider impact on our students. Our external assessment will take place in March 2019.

SPWT welcomes education and training providers to engage with students. The student entitlement statement of provision (see Appendix B of the CEIAG policy) offers providers the opportunity to review current opportunities for access. Many of these events will offer providers an opportunity to come into school to speak to and work with students and/or their parents/carers. 

The school will make the main hall, classrooms or private meeting rooms available for discussions between the provider and students, as appropriate to the activity. The school will also make available AV and other specialist equipment to support provider presentations. This will all be discussed and agreed in advance of the visit with the External Links Manager or a member of the CEIAG team. Providers are welcome to leave a copy of their prospectus or other relevant course literature at the Careers Hub, which is managed by the school librarian. The Hub is available to all students at lunch and break times.

A provider wishing to request access should contact Malalchy O’Grady,  Careers Education and Guidance Manager, on the telephone: 020 7987 1883 ext 126 or via email: malachyogrady@spwt.net

Please click here for a copy of the CEIAG Policy.

Careers Information and Guidance 

At SPWT, we encourage students and families to be curious and investigate the best pathway in terms of careers. The websites below are available for further research: 

For apprenticeships: 

https://hireanapprentice.campaign.gov.uk/

For overall careers guidance: 

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/

https://www.careersbox.co.uk/

http://prospects.co.uk/

For those interested in enterprise: 

https://www.princes-trust.org.uk//

For support in writing a CV: 

https://www.cvplus.co.uk/